Monday, May 24, 2010

Old-Fashioned Whiskey Cocktail

Jim's Recipe
  • Put a slice of orange, one cube of sugar (or equivalent), three shakes bitters (Angostura, Peychaud, Regan's Orange Bitters NO.6, Blood Orange Bitters, you get the picture), and a splash of water, soda water or bourbon in a cocktail (double Old-Fashioned).
  • Muddle with a non-lacquered hardwood muddler to dissolve. Do not pulverise the orange. You are just trying to get the oils out of the peel.
  • Add ice.
  • Fill glass with whiskey to taste. I use bourbon or rye and fill the whole thing up, but I don't like sweets to much, and I like booze. Eagle Rare punches above its price point, but it was stating to increase as I was leaving DC. Haven't had it/seen it out here. 'Tis a pity.
  • Skewer one Luxardo candied cherry on a stirrer and stir.
  • Drink.
  • Have a glass of water. Have one more OF.
  • Do not have another before really thinking about how you want the rest of the evening to progress.

The "original" 1860s OFWC used a lemon in place of an orange and I can do it in a pinch, but I prefer the orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment